The Forum held a meeting yesterday evening to discuss the proposals for Whitburn Lodge.
The Whitburn Lodge owners had approached the Forum with their plans to build houses on the Lodge and the car park (but not the horses field). We held the meeting with residents to gather views on this proposal.
A summary of comments made by residents:
- Residents find the current state of the Lodge unacceptable
- Support for maintaining access to the coastal park from Mill Lane
- Support for affordable housing, as long as it meets the need of Whitburn residents
- Questions about whether it would be possible to keep Hope House
- Concerns about impacts on wildlife, schools, facilities and traffic
- Support for having a community centre
- Concerns about loss of access to the stables
- Concerns about setting a precedent for development on Green Belt
- Support for preserving the gate posts and mining plaques as an entrance to the site
If you would like to leave any additional comments, please fill in the form below.
The Forum has now sent their comments to the draft Local Plan. You can read the report here.
The comments cover all areas of the Local Plan. It sets out our objections to the way housing need has been calculated, and shows that there are errors in the Sustainability Assessment and the way sites have been selected for development. It also goes into detail on impacts on nature, sewage, traffic, air quality and local facilities.
If you have any questions, please do get in touch.
Venue: Barnes Institute
Date: Wednesday 17th August 7.30PM
The owners of the Whitburn Lodge have approached the Whitburn Forum with a proposal to develop the site.
We would like to hear the views of the residents.
There will be a short presentation, followed by questions and the opportunity to view the plans
We are happy to announce that the referendum result is that 92% of voters were in favour of adopting the neighbourhood plan. That means that we now have a Whitburn neighbourhood Plan and residents will be able to influence future development in the village.
We want to thank everyone who voted yesterday. The turnout was 28.4%.
You can read the declaration of the result here.
Our work is not done though. We are now going to focus on our objections to the Local Plan. More news to follow on this.